ChikeAtu

chi-ke-a-tu |’chekay-ahto|
adjective
1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
2. all of me

03 February 2010

Life, Soundtrack of Mine




Two things.
1. Have never and probably never will sell crack cocaine.
2. I have the ability to adapt “Life” rap and use it as motivation for my own life circumstances.

   This is one the most important songs that I have ever listened to. For one major reason, the verbal inspiration that the rapper Killer Mike speaks of in the song. “... how can you sleep tonite, knowing you can’t buy what you want in the morning.” True story: I got this cd in the summer of 2008, always been a fan so I picked it up. My current situation was getting tired as hell,  waiting tables 5 days a week (note: good money though.) and I was losing hope that I would get any chance to step foot in a design office for a major clothing company. After purchasing this cd, this track hit me right in the chest, gut check per say. With this song on repeat, I was inspired to “... get off my ass and do something about it.” With in two weeks of this purchase , no lie, I landed an internship with the urban fashion company, Coogi. I literally went from 10- 100 in two weeks, because of this song. It was one of the life changing experiences in my life, similar to the previous Soundtrack post. It continues to push me to do what I truly want without hesitation on what is “possible”. This is one of many Rap songs, why, I will always allow my children to listen to quality Rap music. Don’t allow yourself to be discouraged by some of the lyrics, cause we have all spoken ungodly before. Thank you, Killer Mike aka Mike Bigga for punching me in the chest to go hustle for what I felt I deserved. Don’t judge where inspiration comes from, just use it as fuel.

“... I’m gonna fire my boss, I’m gonna be my own boss...” ~ Killer Mike

No comments: