ChikeAtu

chi-ke-a-tu |’chekay-ahto|
adjective
1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
2. all of me

14 December 2009

Book: The Extraordinary Career of a Champion Bicycle Racer, Major Taylor


          At a recent Coup’ D’etat Brooklyn gallery opening, I had a very intriguing conversation with artist, Patrick Earl Barnes, about mens fashion and where i draw inspiration from. As always, Mr. Barnes was dressed very nice, this time he shared with me some of his influence. Mentioning many years ago he started the ground work on his own line of neckwear and other menswear garments center around an amazing cyclist. Asking me if I was familiar with the turn of the century cyclist champion, Major Taylor, my answer was no. He began to tell me about this gentleman, the first African American Sports Superstar. Mainly, his style and disposition has given Mr. Barnes inspiration for his own line. After this encounter, I took it upon myself to follow up on this individual and seek what Mr. Barnes has already found. I was able to find a book, which is actually out of circulation, but Amazon.com is amazing. So the journey has begun for me to read this book (I’m not a reader), and learn about the first African American Sports Superstar, Major Taylor, and maybe learn more about style, not just fashion.

No comments: